Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 1995 11:33:47 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Top

>I seen some people talking (err typing) about Top here, and problems with
>it not reporting correctly, are there commands to see memfree that work?
>and also swapfile %.  I have 256megs, and 25 meg swap, and I'm getting
>/Kernel: swap_pager: out of space
>( yes the Kernel is set up for the memory, and /var/log/messages picks up
>the memory correctly with no errors)
>Top says I'm using 100% swap, and only 24megs.

   'pstat -s' will give you current swap usage information. I suspect that
your swap partition isn't in /etc/fstab correctly and thus have no swap at
all. With the merged VM/buffer cache, the system can periodically page out a
page or two (but generally rare). If it tried to page just one page without
swap, this would be obviously deadly.
   Free memory can be seen with 'vmstat -s'. The "free" plus "VM cache"
pages are the total amount of 'free' memory. The system will try to use all
of this otherwise unused memory for file caching.

>If it is using the swap space, is there a way to force to use the ram
>before the swap?

   It generally already does that.

-DG