Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:18:59 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Epox EP-8KTA+ and Advansys 3940-U2W

Hi,
I have one of these motherboards and I am having a few problems getting it working
100% :(

Before I fiddled with the BIOS options I couldn't put the network card right next to
the AGP slot otherwise it would detect the card OK, but think that it was using its
internal PHY, and the ethernet address was ff:ff:.., if I moved it one over it
detected the correct transciver, but got watchdog timeouts and never xfer'd any
data. Moving it another slot over made it work OK. When I changed the 'Init Display
First' option to AGP it worked fine next to the AGP slot (!)

Also, when I first tried to talk to the UPS via the serial port the system would
wedge solid (no DDB, or panic etc). Forcing the serial ports from 'auto' to COM1 and
COM2 settings in the BIOS seemed to fix this.

I also disabled the legacy audio, set the parallel port mode to EPP, and forced the
'used' IRQs (eg 3, 4, and 7) and DMA's (1) to legacy.

Now my problem is that the
adw0: <AdvanSys 38C0800 Ultra2 SCSI Adapter> port 0xb800-0xb8ff mem
        0xd8005000-0xd80050ff irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
adw0: SCSI ID 7, High & Low SE Term Enabled, Queue Depth 253

Is detecting my AIT tape like so ->
sa0 at adw0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
sa0: <SONY SDX-300C 0400> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 6.600MB/s transfers (16bit)

Whereas another machine with an Adaptec 7895 detects it like so ->
sa0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
sa0: <SONY SDX-300C 0400> Removable Sequential Access SCSI2 device
sa0: 20.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 8, 16bit)

The media speed is only 3meg a second uncompressed, so it's not a big issue but I am
just curious if it is really that slow or not. (I would do a test by dd'ing
/dev/zero to it when compression is on but I don't have any spare tapes <sigh>)

I also have a Diamond Touch keyboard (with the crappy power/wakeup/sleep keys) which
doesn't get detected if atkbdc0 has flags 0x1 set :(

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum