Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:02:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
Cc:        mixtim@home.com, rjackson@cs.csubak.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is the STABLE branch not so stable anymore?

> On 11-Jun-2001, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > Hmmm.  It seems like this thread has degraded to simple
> > project-bashing so I'll not be a party to keeping it on life support
> > any longer.
>
> I don't think this is the case at all.  For whatever it's worth, it
> doesn't appear that the stability of -stable is the same priority it
> used to be.  It's hardly project-bashing to raise concerns of this
> nature on the -stable mailing list.

When the concerns are unsubstantiated, and in fact just plain wrong, then
yes, it becomes plain project-bashing.

To answer the original questions: no, there has been no degradation of
concern over the stability of -stable recently, nor are there any plans
for such a thing to happen.  There have been a few mishaps, as can be
expected in any engineering project, and they're being dealt with as best
and expediently as they can be.

Please consider the amount of work being put in to ensure that -stable
isn't broken on a regular basis, and contrast this against the amount of
work going on there in general and the relatively small amount of
breakage that does occur.  No, it's not nice when it happens, but folks,
the problem you're panicking about simply doesn't exist. 8)

The sky isn't falling, ok?  If you want to help improve the stability of
-stable, the right way is to get involved in the feedback process.

Regards,
Mike