Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Andy Grum <aogrum@vnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from ancient to current...

> I am currently running FreeBSD 2.1.5, and would like to upgrade to 3.1
> without losing the tremendous amounts of data on my drive (backups are
> unfortunately not an option).
> I have seen several posts containing advice for accomplishing this task
> by altering sysinstall options, but this seems to only apply when
> upgrading from less distant version numbers.  Is it even possible to
> upgrade to current from this ancient a version?

I'm not a total expert on this, but from my experience, "stepping" the
system up is pretty reliable...  Most of my systems started out at 2.1.5,
and have been CVSup'd to either 3.x or 2.2.8 without any major hair loss.
I would definitely suggest upping to 2.2.8 first -- it's a much easier
transition than going directly to 3+.  There's a problem I ran into with a
change in the root device definition in /etc/fstab, but the mailing lists
archives should describe the fix for this -- it's basically changing
/dev/wd0a to /dev/wd0s1a (or something like that) if I remember correctly.

Once you get it up to a recent 2.x setup, start reading the docs about
doing the 2->3 upgrade, while playing with your 2.2.8 system to make sure
everything works.

> (backups are unfortunately not an option).
Hmmmmmmmm.......  (frown)

Question for the group: Is it possible to run a 2.2.8 kernel (temporarily)
with a 2.1.5 binary installation tree?  If it is, it'll be much smoother
(and safer) upgrade for you....

--Mike