Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:48:26 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "ann kok" <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: don't understand the message in maillog

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 06:00:47PM -0800, ann kok wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > I would like to know how this message is in the
> > maillog
> > of the mail server?
> >
> > What is this meaning? Is it using our mail server?
> >
> > Feb 17 04:11:31 email sendmail[24444]: EAA24444:
> > from=<jone001@hotmail.com>, size=0, class=0, pri=0,
> > nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, relay=[208.254.57.2]

Yes, this message is using your mail server (otherwise your mail server
wouldn't have logged it.)
All this message means is that your mail server accepted an e-mail from
jone001@hotmail.com of size 0 (!).

> You have to find all lines which have the string EAA24444 in it.
> If you have them, post them here and more information can be given
> about it.

Absolutely.  The other lines with EAA24444 will show you who the message was
to.  If it isn't someone who has a mailbox on your server, then your server
is being used as an open relay, which doesn't contribute to the decline of
e-mail spam.

--
Matt Emmerton