Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:15:49 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   How many backups per DAT?

This isn't strictly related to FreeBSD, so please reply to me, and not
to the list.  I'll summarize if people are interested.

I purchased a DAT drive a couple months ago, and am getting to the
fourth or firth backup on some of my tapes.  There is a light on the
drive that comes on when it thinks the tapes are marginal, or the
drive needs to be cleaned.

I've been cleaning the drive once a month, as they recommend (doing
weekly full backups), so I don't think that's the reason the light is
comming on.  So, the alternative is that a DAT is only good for four
or five recordings before it starts degrading.  Does this jive with
others' experiences?

I seem to remember a discussion on this long ago, where someone else
claimed that DATs only last for a limited time.  Does this sound
correct?

It doesn't bother me if that's what I need to expect.  I'd just like
to know for sure.  Thanks for any feedback you send my way...

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net