Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD version of Linux's "passwd -l"

this is what i pulled from the 'pw' man page about the 'lock' option.

to me, it doesn't seem as if they do the same thing.

---------
DESCRIPTION
The lock utility requests a password from the user, reads it again for
verification and then will normally not relinquish the terminal until the
password is repeated.  There are two other conditions under which it will
terminate: it will timeout after some interval of time and it may be
killed by someone with the appropriate permission.

whereas the linux version states that it makes the account available for
root only.

-l
This option is used to lock the specified account and it is available to
root only. The locking is performed by rendering the encrypted password
into an invalid string (by prefixing the encrypted string with an !).