Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:41:09 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   RE: Webmail Frontend to mailboxes.

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 09:59 +0100, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> On Jan 6 at 21:41, Ted Mittelstaedt launched this into the bitstream:
>
> > Use IMP.  Of course, some people pooh-pooh it saying it's hard
> > to setup.  However, IMP is one of those programs that is worth
> > the effort, as if you install the entire suite of programs you
> > have a very powerful front end mail system.
> >
> > IMP is what we use and if you want my notes from the last installation
> > your welcome to them.
> >

> Like others, I'd heard of the installation difficulties you made
> reference to. I'm at something of a crossroads moment right now as it
> relates to webmail, so this thread is well timed. I *was* gonna simply
> install Squirrelmail since I know it and use it elsewhere. Now perhaps
> is the time to look at an alternative. I'd welcome your IMP installation
> notes!
>
> I *gather* (not in front of a FreeBSD box at this moment) that IMP is
> *not* in ports, otherwise (surely) installation wouldn't be *that*
> complex? Configging maybe, but install-wise ports 'apps just; "slide
> right in there" - usually :-)

I'm baffled by all this. IMP is easy to install and set up. It is in the
ports tree, together with several other useful horde components:

>From /usr/ports/www/horde2/pkg-descr:

Horde is used by these ports: mail/imp3, mail/turba, devel/chora,
deskutils/kronolith, deskutils/nag, www/jonah, net/nic, devel/whups,
and deskutils/mnemo

Horde applications have an intuitive folder structure, clearly
identified config files and, the dozen or so times I've had to set this
up, it's always just worked first time.

Peter.