Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 06:44:38 -0700
From:      sabine225@home.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

On Saturday, October 13, 2001, at 12:47 AM, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> Sabine,

Thanks for all the comforting words. My name is Sam, my wife's mail
account (sabine225@home.com) is the only one I have that the reverse
lookup works correctly (required by the freeBSD mailserver).

> When I used Unix for the first time, I met with a number of similar
> difficulties (of the kind: "Ah! That's overwhelming!").

I've been using Linux/freeBSD for 3 years. I can format drives on remote
machines, write perl scripts that traverse infinitely deep directories
changing html code on files needing the specified changes from a web
interface, write shell scripts that synchronize servers across the net,
etc. blah...blah. It's just the documentation for cvsup, heck all UNIX
stuff, is always written by the wrong guy, the guy who's so close to the
project he can no longer think of what it looks like to someone just
getting started. That's OK, it's free and with the excellent support
form this list I couldn't be happier.  I just get a little crazy
sometimes. I'm sure you've done it too, the documentation seems like a
circle of lies at times.

> If one wants to learn a few idiom phrases (Windows), a GUI (as is
> Windows) is OK.  If one wants to speak a language, ie to have much
> greater control of what one does, one needs  to be able to *say* what
> one
> is doing.

Windows, as are all Microsoft products, are strictly forbidden in our
company. We have all Mac workstations (some now on OS X) and all freeBSD
servers. Windows administrative GUI and documentation are purposely
poorly written to increase "instances" of paid product support to
Microsoft. There are flaws in capitalism. We zealously support UNIX and
GNU software as support to the computing community; it's the only way to
keep Microsoft from making our lives completely intolerable. I become
even crazier when I try to configure a Microsoft product.

> P.S. Unix is way too complicated.  :-))

Not if Steve Jobs gets his way.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, I'll be OK in a day or two, actually
because of this list and the replies to my post I feel better already.

Thanks again,
sam