Date:      Mon, 29 May 2017 19:23:26 +0100
From:      Edward Tomasz =?utf-8?Q?Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial line terminal size.

On 0529T1110, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-2 unsupported, converting... ]
> > On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 13:22 +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> > > Hi Edward,

> > > Wouldn't it make more sense for getty to set this up properly, as
> > > opposed to putting it in all of the shell rc files?
> > >

> > I was thinking exactly the same thing a few days ago, but then I looked
> > at the source code to getty and kinda backed away slowly and quietly,
> > as one might do with any sleeping monster.
>
> Now that I can agree with.   Getty has never been a friendly place.
>
> I also think this belongs in Getty despite Warners concern that you
> can not turn it off, as Getty alread does Termios stuff, which
> you control via /etc/ttys, so there is a place to make a knob should
> it be implemented in getty.

It's still something that the _user_ - as opposed to the system
administrator - couldn't turn off.  Not sure it's actually important,
though.

> This is a specific issue to hardwired terminals, which is what
> getty was written for.
>
> It could also fixes the issues that I have pointed out in
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10642 with col/row not being
> reset between logins which yields the propose patch ineffective.

If getty did reset the terminal size upon logoff, that would unbreak
the mechanism.  Now, why doesn't it do that?  Isn't it expected to
do so - to revert the terminal and serial port to some predefined
initial state?  If it does - why doesn't this include the terminal
size?