Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:06:53 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Assaf Gordon <agordon@wi.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'make' behavior in FreeBSD-10 ?

Assaf Gordon <agordon@wi.mit.edu> writes:

> I'm trying to track down an issue in compiling 'autotools' packages that appears in FreeBSD-10 .
> (I'm not a frequent FreeBSD user, so it's possible I'm missing something - any help would be appreciated).

Is automake specifically what you're trying to build, or are the other
questions relevant as well?

This is relevant because it sounds as though you are not trying to use
the FreeBSD ports (or pkg; they're really the same thing in terms of
what gets installed) system. That's the usual way such a thing would be
done, and the exceptions are almost entirely people who would be able to
answer such questions for themselves.

> It is my understanding the FreeBSD-10 switched to a different 'make' (bmake?), which could be the reason for these differences - but I do not know how to fix them.

Gnu Make has never been standard on BSD. Most variations of make
programs understand slightly different makefile syntax, so they
generally don't run each other's makefiles.