Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 23:06:02 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any opinions on CUPS or LPRng?

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 10:39:37PM -0400, Damien Tougas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking at installing an alternate printing system on our network, and
> was wondering if anyone had any experiences/suggestions regarding LPRng or
> CUPS.
>
> The basic BSD LPD is working well for us, but is becoming unmanageable on
> the client side. Every time we make printer changes on our print servers, I
> have to propagate the change to all the clients, creating a separate spool
> directory on each client for each printer it will access. I could do this
> through creative scripting, but if I can achieve this through installing a
> more scalable printing system, I would rather do that.
>
> Basically, it looks like my only two options are LPRng and CUPS. I tend to
> lean towards LPRng because I am quite familiar with the LPD system, but I
> am open to CUPS if it is a better solution. Is there anyone out there with
> experience who can comment on either one of these packages? I am mostly
> concerned with any issues regarding stability and reliability, but any
> experiences positive or negative are welcome.
>
> ---
> Damien Tougas
> Systems Administrator
> Carroll-Net, Inc.
> http://www.carroll.com

If you ask me, CUPS is a terrible solution. You have to pay for all but
some basic filters, and I'm a cheapskate. Avoid CUPS like the plague if
you don't want to put down cash for a printing system that is
unfamiliar. Also, it has a whole host of unfamiliar daemons and
configuration tools. There is no sense learning a new system when you
can get along just fine with an existing system. Learning takes time,
money, and opens you up to problems that piss off users. Believe me, I
experience a great deal of frustration and anger when the apes who run
my campus network decided to use Kerberos for authentication. If you
don't like hate-mail, and hate being thought of as a complete idiot, do
NOT implement a new an unfamiliar system. A lifetime of good service
will never remove the curse of hatred and disrepect I keep on the morons
in my campus network office, for one week of lousy administration.

I like LPRng, I ran it a while back on a linux machine. It did just
fine, with the only noticeable difference being the output of lpq. I
never bothered to install it with FreeBSD, since the standard line
printer system works just fine.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@usrlib.org