Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:39:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Acklin <RobAce@msn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD -  questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing Problem

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Robert Acklin wrote:

> The Install program said that I will have a hard time booting because it
> didn't find the kernel. I'm installing from a DOS partition were I just copied
> the :/.../BIN and :/Floppies to :/FreeBSD/ as it said, in the install
> documents.  Yes there is a boot.flp in the floppies dir.  Is there any way to
> get round this problem?  Like coping the kernel off the boot disk.

You probably set the directories up wrong.

1.  Use your boot disk, C:.  Other disks are probably extended partitions
which FreeBSD doesn't recognize.

2.  Put the bin/ distribution in c:\freebsd\bin.  Don't forget the .inf
file, install.sh, and checksum.md5.  Put the manpages in
\freebsd\manpages, along with it's inf file and so on.  Do this for all
the distributions you wish to install (you don't need all of them).

> PS. It can't find my 4xCDROM that's why I'm installing from the DOS
> partition

Try moving your CDROM (I assume it's IDE) to the slave position on the
primary controller, or single on the secondary controller.  Make sure the
secondary controller (wdc1) is properly found during the boot sequence.