Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:43:31 -0500
From:      "David S. Jackson" <dsj@sylvester.dsj.net>
To:        bag lunch <baglunch@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burned ISO being read as audio cd?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:54:05PM +0000 bag lunch <baglunch@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Problem Summary: When trying to install FREEBSD 4.4-STABLE I get the
> following error during install:
>
> "The cd looks more like an Audio cd than a Freebsd release"
>
> Details: I burned the selected ISO file to a fujifilm 16x CDR (media) using
> the Adaptec EzCD burner software ([file][create cd from image file]), the cd
> burned without error. The burned cd was in tact and was able to be accessed
> using both a windows 2000 pc and a freebsd 3.2 pc, all files were intact.

Do you mean you were able to mount the CD and read the
filesystem completely?

So, you should be able to mount the ISO image as a vnode disk,
right?  (Assuming you have that capability compiled into your
kernel.)  Try reading all of the image you can.  If this is true,
your ISO image should be okay.

Make sure the checksum for your downloaded ISO image is correct.

> I tried several cd's all reporting the same error, i have seen people
> complete successful burns using the adaptec software without a problem.
> Could it possibly be the cdrom drive i'm trying to read it from? I was able
> to install freebsd 3.2 on the new pc using cd's purchased from freebsdmall

I think you're going to need to share some log files on this one.
First, share the syslog when you mount the ISO as a vnode disk to
prove that the image is okay.  Assuming the checksum is correct.

Second, share the syslog where you mount the burned CD as an ISO
filesystem.  Prove the copy of the ISO you burned is good.

Third, if each of these are successful, then share more of the
syslog from the install itself.

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net