Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:07:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      -=X=- <xlogan@novagate.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var drive space problem

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Daniel Tso wrote:

> Why would you want a 250M root ? I always keep root small, usually the
> default 32M or 40M. It limits the possible damage and makes it much
> easier to restore.

One thing we found is that if you have a lot of users on a box and your
/etc/master.passwd file is > 10 megs, you end up with a /etc/passwd file
of ~9 megs, an /etc/pwd.db file of ~ 9 megs and an /etc/spwd.db file of ~
10 megs. Added up, that is just about 40 megs. Then if you go to add
another user in and you do a pwd_mkdb, it makes copies of the password
files in /etc/, and you end up filling up the root partition and pwd_mkdb
dies out with an error. We eventually went from a 50 meg partition to a
256 meg partition for /.

-Dan