Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2014 01:00:55 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scripts for booting FreeBSD images from the install ISO for use in Jenkins?

--HiX9vC0vcC4LTuXtCQavHBAbNfwtbV3Ao

On 2014-03-20 22:40, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de=
> wrote:
>> Am Mon, 17 Mar 2014 19:30:01 -0700
>> schrieb Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For the BSD DevSummit in May, one of the items
>>> on our agenda:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/201405DevSummit/Jenkins
>>>
>>> is to talk about writing scripts which can take a FreeBSD ISO image,
>>> and then boot it and run it on a remote system or in a VM
>>> to install the OS.  After the OS is up, we would like to run tests.
>>> All of this would be triggered from Jenkins.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have scripts which can do this?
>>> Can they be contributed to the Jenkins effort on FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> If you have scripts in Python, Ruby, Bourne shell, etc. are all fine,=

>>> or even recipes in automation frameworks like Puppet, Ansible, Chef,
>>> SaltStack, etc.,
>>> please let us know! :)
>>

>> I would have loved to attend this talk:
>>

>> http://2014.asiabsdcon.org/timetable.html.en#P7A
>>

>> Hopefully, more documentation and/or the slides/the video for this tal=
>> will become available.
>=20
>=20
> Rainer,
>=20
> Thanks for posting that link!  It is highly relevant to my original pos=
ting.
> That looks like a really good presentation, and I also wish I could
> have attended the talk!
> There seem to be many automation frameworks for provisioning and
> booting VM's and real machines.
> I just need to learn one of them. :)
>=20
> --
> Craig
rg"
>=20

Yeah, Martin's talk was good. Jenkins does the installation and
bootstraps puppet (installs it from pkg) and then things go from there.

I have the beginnings of a puppet script to use
http://www.bhyve.org/vmrc/ to deploy FreeBSD VMs (it is a script that
installs to an image or zvol then boots it in bhyve)

There is a talk partially based on it here: http://www.bhyvecon.org/
"bhyve Provisioning and Monitoring"

I'll see what I can come up with for you tomorrow.

--=20
Allan Jude