Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:21:04 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Tani Hosokawa" <unknown@riverstyx.net>
Cc:        <lh@aus.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

> > 	If you're going to make a threaded program, you should do
> it right. A
> > half-assed threaded program may even be worse than a well-designed
> > one-process-per-request program.

> Again, off in theory.  Fact is, the threaded server is faster than the
> per-process model.  And, it's not just going to go away.

	Really? If that's true (at least on some set of platforms) then take a
small step forward. At least it will decrease Apache's memory consumption.

	I'm surprised it's actually faster. I honestly can't think of any reason it
would be.

	You avoid the overhead of having to fork, but Apache pre-forks and reuses
its children so this should be negligible. The kernel has fewer processes to
schedule, but the overhead of having that same number of threads to schedule
should be roughly equivalent.

	Perhaps it's because some of the context switches that were previously
between processes are now between threads of the same process. But that
shouldn't be a major difference anyway. And I would think that would be
swamped by thread contention for things like memory allocation.

	It will probably make Apache run worse on FreeBSD though. If it pushes
FreeBSD to a better threads implementation, I'm all for it.

	DS