Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:02:17 +0100
From:      "Maarten de Vries" <mdv@unsavoury.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD on IBM's X335 series

Hi,

We're planning on purchasing a bunch of IBM X335 servers, equipped with 4 P4
CPU's en 4Gb of memory. These should run either Apache plus Tomcat|Orion or
Mysql|Postgresql.
Since we're looking into using FreeBSD instead of RedHat on these systems,
I'd be grateful if you could provide me with some firsthand experiences.

- how well does FreeBSD install on IBM's X335 or X300 series in general?
- does it cope well with this many CPU's and this much RAM?
- how well does Java perform on FBSD (I hear Java will part of the
basesystem)?
- how does threading work in FreeBSD? Is there something like 'clone' or
'sproc'?

Any of your input will be much appreciated.

Regards,
--
Maarten de Vries
http://unsavouy.net