Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:37:03 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Timur I. Bakeyev" <timur@gnu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [net/samba3] Upgrade to Samba 3.0.25a

On 2007.06.05 10:22:44 +0200, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:

> I would like to stress, that after problems with the last Samba releases
> I decided to delay new port for at least one week to collect feedback
> from mailing lists and other sources, as well as from developers to see,
> if there are no fatal problems with the release. Unfortunately, with
> security updates we can't wait too long, thus 3.0.25 slipped into the
> ports collection, although it possibly shouldn't.

BTW. in cases like this, where the maintainer want to fix a security
issue but would prefer to wait with a full upgrade, you might want to
try and poke the FreeBSD Security Team (secteam@) since we might have
patches to only fix the issue security issue(s).  Specifically for
Samba we normally do get patches from the Samba developers for their
security advisories.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Security Team