Date:      Sun, 22 May 2016 22:03:59 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Confirmed update procedure for a self-hosted armv6hf system

Okay, I've finally confirmed this all the way to completion, the
correct way to update an existing armv6hf system to the new armv6 that
is hardfloat by default is to add TARGET_ARCH=armv6 to the make command
line for *both* the build and install steps.

I started with a fresh armv6hf system built from r300118, then updated
to r300438 and built kernel and world with TARGET_ARCH=armv6.  Then to
install I took a bit of a shortcut over the normal freebsd update
procedure and just did:

  make DESTDIR=/ TARGET_ARCH=armv6 KERNCONF=IMX6 installkernel
  init 1
  <then in single-user mode>
  cd /usr/src
  make DESTDIR=/ TARGET_ARCH=armv6 installworld
  reboot

I'm not recommending anyone else shortcut their normal update procedure
(mergemaster, all that stuff); I'm mostly trying to make sure this
crossbuild stuff creates a bootable system, then I'm just going to
erase it all.

Most folks should just do whatever they normally do to update, but add
TARGET_ARCH=armv6 to all make commands when updating an armv6hf system.

-- Ian