Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 20:16:01 -0700
From:      Michael Han <mikehan@mikehan.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel 815EEA board bad?

I recently reported[1] a problem with the fxp driver giving "SCB
timeout" errors and dropping off of the network temporarily or
permanently. I finally managed to get a serial console attached and
can do a little more investigation, but lo and behold, the box
spontaneously panicked on me, giving a "Fatal trap 10" panic for
"panic: trace trap". I see that the only other instance I can find of
this panic being reported[2] is, surprise-surprise, on a box with an
Intel 815EEA motherboard.

Research into the first problem indicates that similar problems are
being reported on FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Linux, primarily on Intel
815E-chipset systems.

Which brings me to my question -- is the Intel 815EEA board or Intel
815E chipset just bad news? I'd be sad to hear it, given that my
friend and I just bought a box based on it, but there are at least two
reported problems that appear to be linked to this hardware.

If anyone's interested in investigating the problems, I've enabled
crash dumps to be able to provide a full stack from the kernel in the
event that the machine panicks again, and I'm willing to invest some
effort into the problem with fxp. I'm not sure how long I can hold off
my friend, who wants to install Debian instead -- though I suspect
we'll find similar problems there. Is it possible this is just
hardware errata?

[1] http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=15827+0+archive/2001/freebsd-hardware/20010506.freebsd-hardware
[2] http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=612074+0+archive/2000/freebsd-stable/20001224.freebsd-stable
--
mikehan@mikehan.com                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California