Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:51:30 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General questions

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:24:28PM +1000, Rob B wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first running install of FreeBSD, so be gentle :)
>
> I have 4.3 RELEASE running on a DEC Alpha, and I'm trying to install some of
> the ports (mutt, postfix etc).  I seem to be getting old versions of the
> software that aren't on the servers anymore.  I am aware that CVSup will
> update the ports tree, but doesn't that also update the rest of the system?
> Can I make CVSup only retrieve the ports?

Yes, you can make CVSup retrieve only the ports tree. Look at
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile  for an example on how to do
this.
(And, no, CVsup won't update the rest of your system even if you use it
to get everything. It will just get the sources for the system so that
you can rebuild it yourself if so desired.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson