Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 15:36:14 -0800
From:      Gopakumar H Pillai <gopu@global.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: APC Back UPS monitor

Thanks a lot. About the first part of your reply, I found a good
software which can handle SmartUPS modified lately by Dough White. It's
a good one. It can execute a halt command to shut down the machine after
setting the UPS shutdown delay. It didn't go into my head, why you
wanted to modify the kernel to shutdown. This code can be found in
ftp://gdi.uoregon.edu/pub/upsd-2.0.1.6.1.tgz.

About the second part, I am really interested in knowing what exactly it
does. By the brief description, I am getting ideas to use it to
synchronize the shutting down of all machines in case of power failure.
I was thinking of writing a s/w which would broadcast a packet in the
network and a client listening to it brings down the system. But I am
too naive and have to study a lot to do this.

--Gopu