Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:11:11 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD early days... (fwd)

> Do you remeember when FreeBSD diverged (and how the people were selected
> for what became "core"?

I don't remember any 'divergence' except one that just sort of happened.
I remember hoping/thinking that Bill's promise would eventually come
true (unlike the folks who started NetBSD).  We kept hoping that the
must anticipated 386BSD 0.2 release would be released 'Real Soon Now'.

The NetBSD folks had a lesser view of Bill, as well as decidely negative
view of BSD on the x86, so gave up earlier on the promise of 0.2 and
started doing their own thing.  Even when this occurrred, there was a
positive working relationship between the 'interim' group and the 'BSD
on everything else' group.

We (the FreeBSD folks) continue to work on providing a stable/usable BSD
release on the x86, and when Bill bailed out the the 'focus' of the
interim group was already decidedly different than the NetBSD group that
both groups could do well working apart.

This worked well, until at one point someone (I don't even remember who)
in the NetBSD group felt that FreeBSD was just copying all of the bits
from NetBSD and not giving proper credit, at which time *ALL* of the
FreeBSD members lost their CVS privileges on the the NetBSD box
(sunlamp).

> I think I was having a non 386BSD week that week and seem to have missed
> it.. I do know that my departure to AUS took me out of the picture for a
> while, and was responsible for ref being unavailable. I don't know what
> the influence of that was however..

IMO, ref's disappearance had little to do with Free/NetBSD, except that
at the time it was the only public machine that Bill had an account.  It
may have participated in making Bill feel even more isolate, but I can't
speak for him.

Although ref's demise was untimely, I don't believe that even had it
existed would things have turned out much different.  Because ref was
not managed by someone who had lots of time and the BSD portions of it
were of secondary importance to TFS, it could never have gotten enough
critical mass to do much, which is why Rod/Jordan/WC's resources were
critical to the success of the project.

> There was I think another, but I can't remember what it was..

gndrsh (ground rush).

Nate