Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 11:54:12 -0500
From:      Greg Miller <gmiller@mci.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about AT-1700 ethernet card

>>   I have a question about FreeBSD support for the Allied Telesyn AT-1700
>> ethernet card. I see that this card is on the list of supported NICs at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook10.html#10. My question is which
>> interface I should select in the FreeBSD installation menu (and when building
>> a kernel). I don't see one that looks like a match. I do have the utility
>> program to change the I/O configuration (irq, etc.) of the card if that is
>> necessary.
>
>What type of card is this?  (isa, pci?)

Sorry. It's ISA. Also, I just realized that it's actually an AT-1700T Plus,
not just a vanilla AT-1700. Does that matter?

>I'd suggest trying the ed device driver first; it's pretty generic.

I tried the ed0 driver, after first changing the card's settings to
IRQ		5
port addr	0x280
boot rom addr	0xd8000

The installation program still doesn't recognize the card.

I have another card that also doesn't work. It's a 3Com 3C509B. I have a
plain 3C509 that does work, but the rev B card isn't recognized when using
the 3C509 driver. Any suggestions? In general, I'm having trouble finding
cards that are listed on the list of supported hardware. They seem to be
older cards that have been replaced by newer revs. Any help will be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg