Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:34:44 -0800
From:      Christoph Herrmann <chm@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   growfs(8) for FreeBSD

Hi,

Due to vinum it is no problem to add disks and grow your volumes but up to
now you couldn't easily make use of that new space for a file system, except
using sequence of ufsdump/newfs/ufsrestore or something similar.

Thomas (tomsoft@freebsd.org) and me (chm@freebsd.org) have written a growfs(8)
for FreeBSD. Currently we can only grow unmounted file systems (in a clean
state) without any active snapshots inside. It is foreseen to enhance growfs to
grow mounted file systems as well, and handle active snapshots correctly.
This requires some infrastructure which is then only available in FreeBSD-5,
whilst the current design runs also happily on FreeBSD-4 and FreeBSD-3
(tested) and possibly even on FreeBSD-2 (untested).

To help us gathering the needed data for fixing bugs in growfs we additionally
wrote ffsinfo(8), a (very) extended version of dumpfs.

We've sent a couple of snapshots of our code to Kirk McKusick and to Greg
Lehey. Greg also volunteered :-) for reviewing the code. We also maintain
some sort of (for some contractual reasons unilaterally) contact with Don
Coleman who is doing the same thing for BSD/OS.

--
Ciao

    Christoph &:-)

M$:       Where do you want to go today?
Linux:    Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD:  Are you guys comming, or what?