Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:17:34 -0400
From:      Anton Yudin <toha@toha.org.ua>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI issues with Toshiba A500 Laptop, solved

--0050450156d8f4b675048a0a5e6c

Hello.

   I've just bought a Toshiba A500 laptop and installed FreeBSD-8.1-RC1 on it.
Because I had several issues with ACPI in it, I want to report how I
fixed them. Maybe somebody will find this report helpful.

  The laptop has a Core-i3 processor (with HTT), dedicated NVidia 310M
graphics card, 3G DDR3, 300G hdd, sound card, web cam, wifi card.

   Trying to install 8.1-RC1 and 9-CURRENT on the laptop, I found a
lot of ACPI errors. The system was able to launch 4 CPU, yet it was
not able to find the internal HDD and external USB mass storage device
that I was booting from.

   Disabling ACPI during the boot allowed to install 8.1-RC1. The
system was not able to boot after the installation with ACPI enabled
for the same reason: no HDD.

   Working without ACPI was not an option too because I wanted to use
multiple processors in the system.

   I found that some people suggested recompiling ACPI byte code and
overriding the original one using /boot/loader.conf optioins. So I
disassembled the ACPI byte code with acpidump -td command and tried to
compile it with iasl command (both are parts of the base system).
During the compilation process the compiler reported five errors
related to the wrong type of the data (it expected Package, but got
Buffer). I simply changed the word Buffer to the word Package in the
corresponding lines and was able to compile the code. Then I just
copied the resulting .aml file into /boot folder and set the options
in the /boot/loader.conf file.

  After this I was able to boot the system with ACPI enabled with
almost no ACPI warnings/errors.

  I can report that I was able to use NVidia proprietary and open
sourced xorg drivers (both with native resolution), sound using
snd_hda driver, webcam using webcamd and cuse4bsd (yet I could not
make neither pidgin nor kopete to use it) (pwcview works fine), 4
CPU's (2 real + 2 HTT).

  I was not able to make the internal Realtek 8191SE wifi card work
with ndis wrapper. Actually the NDIS driver finds the card and I'm
able to use ifconfig to configure it, yet it cannot associate with my
WPA access point. I'm using a Belkin USB wifi adapter and it works
fine.

  I have not tried to use a card reader yet.

  My dmesg, pciconf -lvcb, acpidump -td, and usbconfig are attached.

Thanks.

--0050450156d8f4b675048a0a5e6c--