Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:35:13 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAID5

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:25:59PM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 francisv@dagupan.com wrote:
>
> > Speaking of RAID, what RAID card that supports IDE would you recommend for
> > FreeBSD? Can it boot from the RAID device or do you need a separate boot
> > disk for that?
>
>     AFAIK, there are no IDE RAID cards that support RAID-5.  You are
> stuck with RAID 0, 1 or 10.  Although these are just fine for what
> they are, they don't do what RAID-5 does.  RAID-10 is an acceptable
> substitute for RAID-5 if you have the money for the spare spindles.

I am now using a 3ware Escalade 7410 with four IDE disks (IBM 75 GB) on
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE. It just works (twe(4) driver) and performs quite
well. There are also 2- and 8-disks models available.

  JMA
--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **