Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:09:33 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: help with 'tar|rsh tar'

Nikolas Britton wrote:

> I need to backup the /data directory on hostA to /data on hostB, about
> 1TB of data on a gigabit link. Right now I'm using scp but the
> handshake latency and ssh overhead is killing me.

Try openssh-portable from ports and set these two:

               HPN             "Enable HPN-11 SSH/SCP patch"           off \
                HPN_NONECIPHER  "Enable HPN-11 with None Cipher patch"
off \

Then use "scp -z" to do the copy.  You need this version of ssh at both
ends for -z (no data encryption) to work.  HPN improves the performance
of ssh no end on internal gigabits.  No idea if it will match the ttcp
solution, but much safer than enabling rsh :-)

--Alex