Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 2002 00:21:29 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "Jaideep  Bhatia" <jaideep.bhatia@wipro.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Samba refuses to login into home directory

At 10:42 2002/03/08 +0530, Jaideep  Bhatia wrote:
>Thanks Scott. I tried smbpasswd -a <windows_user_name> as root. But got
>the following error.
>
>gogo# smbpasswd -a jaideep
>New SMB password:
>Retype new SMB password:
>User jaideep does not exist in system password file (usually
>/etc/passwd). Cannot add account without a valid local system user.
>Failed to modify password entry for user jaideep

I'm pretty sure that that's the standard error (haven't done this in a long
time, so not 100 percent sure)

You might have to restart the Windows box, (maybe not, just seems that one
always has to do that though)  :) and stop and restart smbd and nmbd.  See
if it works then.

The trouble is that I haven't done a setup of samba from scratch in awhile,
so my memory is hazy--you may or may not have to add user jbhatia once more
to smbpasswd---or maybe just do smbpasswd Jaideep (without the
-a--otherwise, you might get the error that user jbhatia already exists.)

Sorry I can't be of more help here.
Scott