Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:05:26 +0000
From:      Mark Bath <mark@baggywrinkle.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with apsfilter and a2ps ports

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to share this if not I'm sorry.

I have just intsalled a new system with apsfilter and a2ps, and when printing
text have found a problem. It seems that the parameters that apsfilter calls
a2ps are not compatable.

I'm running apsfilter version 6.0.0 and a2ps version 4.3. When I print a file
for example the hosts file via lpr /etc/hosts it seems that a2ps calls
apsfilter with the following:

a2ps -M "$A2PS_PAPERSIZE" -b"Printed by $USER from $HOST" --center-ti
tle="$JOB" $A2PS_BASIC -1 --borders=no --no-header -q -o -

However the only option that a2ps understands of teh above is the -q...

If I modify apsfilterrc as follows...

# override the complete a2ps commandline
#A2PS_OPTS='-X iso1 -m --borders=yes --prologue=color --highlight-level=heavy'
A2PS_OPTS=' '

and apsfilter shell script...

            if [ "$A2PS_OPTS" ]; then
                #print_ps a2ps '$A2PS_OPTS' -q -o  -
                print_ps a2ps '$A2PS_OPTS' -q

Then printing works fine.

I guess this is a problem with the compatability of the two packages.

Thanks

MB