Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:56:07 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        McClain Looney <mcclain@reliant.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken tcl libs

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 01:37:14PM -0600, McClain Looney wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I ran a particuarly malicious find command a while back and hosed up all my
> tcl libraries.  This of course, broke vi (my mind boggles at what else it
> might have broken).

Here I am, already terrified of using find, and you tell me this! :-)

> when i try to start vi, i get the following error:
>
> ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libtcl.so.75.1"
>
> which would indicate that it cant find the libtcl.so.75.1 file, which,
> indeed, does not exist on my system anymore.  I attemped to synch my sources
> (i'm running 2.2.2-RELEASE, dont ask.) with cvsup. I tried to "make lib",
> but this died, as did make world, make vi and pretty much anything i tried.
> Do I have any choices besides reinstalling the whole os?
>
> Oh, in case you're wondering, the find command was something very similar to
> this:  find /usr  -name *tcl* -exec mv {} {}.bak \;  (oh the horror).

Thanks, but I don't think I'll study that one too closely just yet :-)

My vi doesn't work either (not that it worries me!) and the error message
looks vaguely similar. I wonder if others have had this solved in
freebsd-questions in the past? A quick search of the freebsd-questions
mailing list archive on http://www.freebsd.org/search.html will probably
bring it up.

In fact, I'd be interested to hear how you go with the search. Some people
have had trouble with it, while others swear by it.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more