Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:40:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@cs.adfa.edu.au>
To:        stephen@math.missouri.edu (Stephen Montgomery-Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Motherboard and ATA Questions

In article by Stephen Montgomery-Smith:
> I was thinking about buying myself an EPOX EP-7KXA motherboard
> with the VIA Apollo KX133 chipset.  But I read that VIA Apollo
> chipsets have some problems with FreeBSD 4.0.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this particular chipset?

Yep, you definitely need /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio.
Put this right at the top of /etc/rc, and also in /.profile for
when you boot in single-user mode.

However, once you've got 4.0 installed, you can patch the ata code.
Soren Schmidt supplied me with a patch which fixes the problem. I'd
be happy to pass it on to you. Apparently it should soon MFC.

> Does it depend upon the particular hard drives that I am using?

I don't know, I've only used the one drive.

> [using pio mode] Does that mean that I will suffer
> a performance loss in not being able to use the ATA66?

Probably some, but once you recompile your kernel, there's no problem.

However!!!!!! When you get the new kernel installed, DESTROY kernel.GENERIC.
I made the mistake of booting using that once & lost the root partition.
I had to move the drive over to another FreeBSD system, and fsck -b 32
on the corrupted partition to recover it. No serious drama, though.

Cheers,
	Warren