Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:07:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, "Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sh and ~ expansion

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> Why don't we just use pdksh? It's even more compact than our current
> Bourne/partially-Korn shell, and has lots of great Korn shell features
> everyone loves but sh doesn't have.

Not being a pdksh user, well, I know YOU are aware of the importance of
not breaking ANY sh scripts for users, whether they're part of our base
or not, because sh is the shell everyone writes in for portability, and
it mustn't ever be broken ... so, is pdksh 100% compatible with sh, at
least upwardly?  I mean wth NO changes to ANY sh script?

Do buildworlds complete, with pdksh in place as the shell, instead of
sh?

I'm not against this per se, but those are pretty important hurdles to
go over, and I'm wary.  Give us a lecture on it.  Making this change
would be neat, if it's truly possible.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).