Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:03:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        afs-list freebsd <freebsd-afs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 1.5.77 port of openafs

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:

> On 09/21/2010 22:23, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>> Excellent. Have you also followed the steps here?
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/porting-testing.html
>> (The porter's handbook is a pretty nice resource for ports tips, though
>> it sadly doesn't give much guidance for how to deal with kernel modules.)
>
> Since I was trying to keep the diff minimal, I did not attempt to make any
> improvements besides the basic functionality of the package -- the option
> WITH_FUSE was needed for that. (And I did not test in an optimal way lacking
> a tinderbox and only using a chroot environment for "clean" builds.)

A chroot and manual inspection is frequently good enough.  (And I wouldn't
even have noticed the FUSE dependency, since I don't have it on my testing
boxes.)

> I have never used portlint so far, but I can try. In contrast to debugging
> the deadlocks and crashes, improving the port should be doable for me.

Portlint is largely for style checks that only become important right
before submitting a port for inclusion in the repository.

> Unfortunately, I will probably not have enough time in September, but I might
> get to it in two weeks. I will check
> http://web.mit.edu/freebsd/openafs/tmp/openafs.shar before I start with
> anything.

Well, the idea was that it would become freebsd/openafs/openafs.shar once
I finished testing it, and the tmp/ directory would go away.
I may not have time in September to do anything much, either, but will
send mail if I do.

-Ben