Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:21:20 +0200
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, Java News <java.public@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe + on-board sk0

On Monday 04 October 2004 11:25, Java News wrote:
> I've just read some posts from July depended ASUS K8V SE Deluxe - I
> just bought such motherboard and got "sk0: watchdog timeout" everytime
> when I try to get something via Samba. I have quite problem free
> Internet connection - maybe beacause it's only 640/128 kbps, but when
> I try to transfer something over 100Mb/s ethernet sk0 just hung.
> Is it any solution so far? Is it FreeBSD problem or ASUS?

It _seems_ to be a HW problem with the SE version of the board - some Linuxen
have a peculiar little hack that seems to fix the timeouts. In FreeBSD, the
problem has not been fixed, hackishly or not -- and I must say, when I tried
to patch FBSD the same way the Linuxen are, it didn't help much. Basic
symptom is that under any kind of load, the NIC freezes up. You can ifconfig
sk0 down ; sleep 1 ; ifconfig sk0 up to unfreeze it.

--
Don't worry, 't ain't no shame to be stupid - ol' mouse.
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot