Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:29:38 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stpcpy()

In message <19991029132257.A535@holly.calldei.com> Chris Costello writes:
:    I'm seeing more and more of a need for a compat library for
: Linux and GNU software in general.  Adding unnecessary bloat to
: our libc isn't necessary, in my opinion.

The problem with this is that it becomes harder to build on FreeBSD
because you have to add additional, non-standard libraries to the
build process.  This is the fault of the author of the tool, since
they used non-standard interfaces, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
The risk we run in not supporting them in libc is the perception that
FreeBSD isn't compatible (never mind what the sstandards say).

We have similar issues with the long getopt stuff.

Warner