Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:00:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Runkle <dave@runkle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How can I learn which dependency to answer to pkgdb -F ?

When I resup ports, I always do like the manual says, that is, to
run
	portsdb -Uu
	pkgdb -F
	portversion -c -v > portversion-updates.txt

but each time upon running pkgdb -F it asks me to fix stale
dependencies. Each time I fumble around, not really knowing how to
answer.

For instance, this time ethereal came up with the stale dependency
listed as XFree86-libraries-4.1.0.

So I look in the ethereal Makefile, but can't find anything that
seems to answer it definitively. I look in the other files, and I
use the gui utility PIB (great tool!) too, but I still don't really
know how to answer.

I'm tempted to just answer XFree86-4.1.0 and be done with it, but I
really want to do this right.

How can I find out what to replace these stale dependencies with? Is
there someplace for instance in the Makefiles of these ports? What
am I missing? I've got a number of ports to "fix".

Thank you!
Dave