Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 19:16:55 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        mweber@pacbell.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation

Hi it is difficult to help you if you do not provide some more detail
about what you've done so far, but I'll give it a shot.

On Saturday January 06, 2001 13:19, mweber@pacbell.net wrote:
> I bought (from fry's) the most recent release.  The CD-ROM has no
> installation.bat that I know of.

No it wouldn't.  It is not a windows or dos program, but an operating
system.  You install it by booting into it.

> My computer is an older one (dec lpx+) which has been
> upgraded from 48633 to a 486 100.  I have 2 disks (recognized) and 40
> megs of memory.  A creative CD which is not bootable but is
> Matsushita 563.  It is recognized by 2 different LINUX distributions
> but not your FREEBSD.

Well I don't know specifically about that model, but Matsushita CD-roms
are supported by the matcd driver.  I do not know if it is in the
default installation kernel.

> Also, your documentation on how to install from
> floppies (just a bare system) leaves a lot to be desired.

Well installation from floppies only is highly discouraged.  It is
generally more difficult than it is worth.

>First you are very unclear about
> what files by name are needed.  Or your math is way off.

Could you give more detail on what you mean here and what you find
lacking in the documentaion?  It seems to check out ok to me.

> What gives and why cannot I install ?

Well why not prepare boot floppies as per the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-guide.html#INSTALL-FLOPPIES

then boot from them and when you are in the sysinstall program choose
the cd as your installation source.  It should work fine.  I have a 486
that it's bios does not allow me to boot from CD so this is the method
I use on it.
	Your other option is to download the 4.2-release floppies and install
4.2 over ftp.

> be the way to go since the distributors are interested in getting
> people to install it therefore they recognize
> the older machine and can deal with it.

Generally so does FreeBSD.

	If you follow the above and still get stuck, then try to ask some
detailed questions here.  You'll also want to read the FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ.html
Try not to ask questions on the mailing lists that are answered there.
Good luck,

					Tim