Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:05:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Martin Renters <martin@tdc.on.ca>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CDwriter software

Is there a particular reason that we've gone with a 'worm' driver
interface for CD writers, as opposed to a 'cdwrite' program like Linux
has?

The reason I ask is that I've just finished writing a 'cdwrite' type
program to burn CDs on a PINNACLE RCD1000/RCD5040 on HPUX 10.x
and the SCSI command set that this drive uses is rather different to that
of the HP/Plasmon writers.  For one, it seems to want to know ahead of
time how much data you want to write in a track and you also have to
supply pregap, and postgap information.  The SCSI write command has a
bit that specifies that more data is to follow, and you're expected
to keep this bit set while writing out your data.  When writing the
pregap/postgap information you need to supply 150 blocks of data, the
buffer for which you'd have to get some somewhere inside the kernel.

This all seems simpler in a 'cdwrite' type program.  Comments?

Martin