Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 07:38:54 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jdl@chromatic.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which PCI SCSI controler?

Jon Loeliger stands accused of saying:
> I thought I'd start the SCSI plunge.  I haven't got a clue yet,
> so I simply toured Fry's to see what was available and all.
> Can I ask you guys for recommendations or comments based on
> these tidbits:

Wise moves all round 8)

>     - I want a PCI SCSI controller

Good choice.

> 			Fry's US $
>     AH-2940/aic-7870	$259

Good controller.  Very solid, but perhaps a bit of overkill in your current
situation.

>     NCR 53C910		$ 95

910 or 810?  The 910 I know not, the 810 we use a lot here.  Very good,
very cheap.

> Which of these are more reliable devices, and more reliable drivers?
> Ultimate speed is NOT the ultimate concern to me here.  Something
> somewhat fast and solid is probably more of an issue.  Also, I don't
> have a clue if F&W is even a concern for me?  I doubt that the "Ultra
> Wide" is needed; 7 devices will hold me for quite a while too.

ftp.cdrom.com runs on 2940's, both that and the NCR 810 have excellent
drivers.  In your case, the advantages offered by the 2940 aren't
terribly significant (better performance with large numbers of drives
and controllers...)

> Naturally, I'm looking for 4mm tape drive recommendations too.
> I'd say 4mm is sort of a requirement as that is the only format
> we have available to us else-wise at work right now.

HP, WangDAT or Sony.  We just bought a Sony SDT-S5200 (external 4G
noncompressing), and it's a trooper.

> Um, also, I currently have a 2.0.5 snapshot and plan to upgrade
> to 2.1 as soon as a good backup can be made on this device...
> It's all being run on a DELL Dimension XPS P90.

With a machine like that, SCSI is a definite win.

> And, as a totally secondary possibility, although I am willing to
> completely ignore this if needed, I might use the same card and
> tape drive to back up a Winblows-95 box too.

Both the 2930 and the NCR 810 are supported by W95, so you're laughing there.

> jdl

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[