Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:53:52 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command-line editing [was NetWare client in -current]

I said:

>Anyway, command-line apps have been obsolete for years, so I guess we
>should go on and find better things to argue about.  :)

I guess people missed the ":)" so I'd better explain.

Most computers are embedded and becoming both more ubiquitous and
invisble.  Most of these don't even *have* interfaces, GUI or CLI.
CLIs are pretty much useful only for developers, sysadmins, and support.

That said, I'd prefer a Mac MPW-style shell/editor where the tools
themselves don't know nor care about command-line editing and vptys are
a thing of the past.  Sort of like a less linear xterm with more powerful
cut/paste/exec facilities.  Someday I may even finish writing it...

Hm - come to think of it, I guess there is no good reason to put CLI
stuff into the driver.  Nor "cooked" modes.  Apologies for wasting time.

	-- Parag Patel