Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:18:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic with heavy diskaccess - current as of 10/04/98

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday,  5 October 1998 at  9:04:38 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I keep seeing the panic below while I'm trying to untar a 1.5Gb file on my
> > system...
> >
> Well, it's nice to have something consistent.

Yes, it's very consistent - usually about 30 - 40 seconds after hitting
'enter' on the 'tar zxvf my_home_dir.tgz' ;-)

> > The panic details are below - I've heard nasty things about crashdumps at
> > the moment - are these safe to enable now?
>
> I haven't seen any problems.  What have you seen?

People were complaining they were overwriting volumes, and not writing to
the crash device specified... :-(

> No, this doesn't look like a termination problem.  It would be really
> nice to get a dump of it.  Looks like it could be a size problem.  I
> did some changes in this area a while back.  Which version of vinum
> are you running?

I'll see if I can get some crash dumps going (after I've backed up ;-) -

The vinum is the one that's in the 3.0-Current source tree, I'm not too
sure how 'new' this version is... Are you maintaining the version in the
tree - or are the updates still on your system?

(Is there anywhere in /usr/src/lkm/vinum I can find the version number?)

Regards,

Karl