Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:50:30 +0200
From:      Jean-Michel DRICOT <jdricot@ulb.ac.be>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Parallel Port File Descriptor problem

Hello,

I'm tryng to write bytes directly to my PC's Parallel port. As a first
shot i wrote:
            open("/dev/io",O_RDWR);
            outb(0x378, 0xFF);
That was correct but only the root user could handle it. (due to the
ioperm problem)...

I've put correct permissions (say 777) on /dev/lpt0 and tried using file
descriptor, like in my old LINUX Box :-) with "/dev/lp0" .
As non-root user this time I tried executing:

            int fd=open("/dev/lpt0",O_RDWR);
            write(fd,...........);

But my fd was always <0 (error with IOPerm.) even if executed the
program as root....

How can I get a valid FD to a parllel port in order to use
write(fd,.......) ?

Thanks for your help !
Jim

Configuration:
KERNEL:
    device          ppc0    at isa? port? net irq 7
    controller      ppbus0
    device          nlpt0   at ppbus?
    device          plip0   at ppbus?
    device          ppi0    at ppbus?
NB: I also tried different combinations of these devices... But problem
remains the same...

"Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who it's friends are."

Dricot Jean-Michel
3rd year study in Computer & MicroElectronic Engineering
Polytechnic School
Free University of Brussels (ULB)

e-mail: jdricot@ulb.ac.be