Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:54:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HARD CRASH] gdb output - what is it saying?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 October 2001 04:37, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > If I could read it, it would help.  You shouldn't wrap computer
> > output.
>
> Sorry...
>
> > If you follow up, please send the output as it comes, and
> > make the output in hex.
>
> Hmm... I'm not familiar with gdb. I've tried to look through the man-pages
> and gdb's help-pages but didn't find any reference on how to set the output
> to hex.
>
> > This is a puzzling dump.  Have you any specialized timer hardware or
> > software on your machine?
>
> Not to my knowledge. I've attached my dmesg. I do have a vague
> suspecion that it's somehow related to my graphicscard. The first
> spontaneous crash happened 2 weeks ago after I upgraded to XFree
> 4.1, installed drm-kmod and startet testing mplayer's
> dvd-capabilities. DRI is enabled.

    I've had trouble with drm-kmod.  To wit, when I kldunload the
modules in reverse order of loading, I get a fatal trap 12 when I
unload radeon.ko (I have a Radeon QD board in my box, on an AMD
761 ("Irongate")-based motherboard).

    I see from your dmesg that you're running a board with a VIA
chipset.  Is this an A7M266?  There are issues with that board and
XFree86 4.1.0 when you try to use agpgart, drm, and DRI, according to
some mail I got off-list.  I certainly haven't had any luck using
drm-kmod and DRI on my Radeon/Irongate combination.

> The occurence have been by playing DVDs through mplayer (using xvideo),
> testing q3arena, twice in console after some idle-time (eg.
> screensaver/blanker activated) when pressing a key. 1 or 2 occasion I can't
> relate directly with graphics.

    With drm-kmod disabled (disable the startup script, force umount
of everything but /, and reboot), I still managed to crash my machine
using XFree86 4.1.0 and vlc (with XVideo output), but only if I also
had a VMWare instance up at the time.  Alas, no crashdump is available from
that crash

> Since then I've recompiled/reinstalled X, drm-kmod, kernel, "world", and all
> X-related apps (eg. mplayer, KDE2.2 etc.). Still crashes.
>
> > Is the dump repeatable?
>
> Yes, playing a DVD with mplayer after 1-60 min I get a crash.

    Can you also crash it with vlc?

    If you get a crashdump, just cd'ing to where your kernel.debug
lives, doing

    gdb -k ./kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.n
    <all the startup stuff goes by here>
    gdb> where
    <traceback goes here>

should be sufficient to give Greg (and other developers) some
information to get started.  They can then send you other commands for
you to run to further examine the crash.

    If you don't have a kernel.debug (should be in
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/YOURKERNELNAME if you have "makeoptions DEBUG=-g"
in your kernel config--also add "options DDB" and "options DDB_UNATTENDED"
to get the dump but still allow an automatic reboot).

    If you're really brave and if you have a NULL modem cable and a spare
computer, you can also add "options GDB_REMOTE_CHAT" to your kernel
and debug the live kernel with a serial console.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)