Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:40:07 +0100
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some filesystem thoughts

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:26:42 +0100, Radio m=C5=82odych bandyt=C3=B3w  =

<radiomlodychbandytow@o2.pl> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm a pretty fresh Unix user, suffering from productivity loss caused =
by  =

> changing OS. I dearly miss a couple of facilities that I had implement=
ed  =

> in my file manager (Total Commander) and sought a file manager that  =

> could replace them. I'm pretty sure there's none. I found that Unix do=
es  =

> some of them at the OS level and that's a superior way. But with other=
s  =

  =

> TC (not well enough, but that's another rant), but I think that for  =

> them, OS is the right place too and that's what I'd like to talk about=
.  =

 =

 =

  =

> manage remote / virtual resources just like remote filesystems. FTP,  =

> websites, process list, calendar; the variety is rich.
> In Unix, there are equivalents for some of them; the ones that mattere=
d  =

 =

  =

> to enjoying the benefits of this approach, though for me they are nove=
l.

> The other thing - packer plugins. They allow treating archives like  =

> directories. Again, there are many useful ones, some obvious (like  =

> zips), some not so much. I treated my executables as directories, whic=
h  =

  =

> of GUI code stored directly (The name 'TNASTYNAGSCREEN' will stay in m=
y  =

> mind for long). Or extracting icons. Or doing many other things that a=
re  =

 =

> for generation and browsing of file lists. A Java decompiler. And a  =

> great variety of others.
>
> Unix file managers offer similar, though not so rich options. Yet I  =

> think it's not their job. Like with mounting, there's great benefit fr=
om  =

> being able to use standard tools with them.
> Some write things like zipfs, but I think it's wrong.
> First, typing a command is cumbersome. Second, even if it was automate=
d,  =

> mounting needs a mount point. The only good one is the file itself;  =

> working with a dozen (or thousand) of archives in a single directory i=
s  =

  =

  =

  =

> out. A picture is a stored emotion. OK, there are no tools for that ye=
t.  =

  =

 =

  =

> player?
> How about video players being able to play videos by reading them in  =

> decoded form directly from the filesystem instead of having to integra=
te  =

  =

> coverage?

Creative ideas.
Part of what you want is in fusefs (mounting of files to edit their  =

content). And part is implemented in e.g. KDE (integrated support for  =

various file types in fulltext search and tagging of files/metadata, etc=
.).
The chances of having all these complex libraries integrated in the  =

FreeBSD OS are close to zero I presume. But I am not in a position to  =

decide about that.
I think you can't expect the OS to serve everybody's detailed wishes. Th=
e  =

OS serves files and user programs know what to do with them.

Ronald.