Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:49:16 -0400
From:      Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@hawk.pearson.udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possibility?

I figured that this question was more appropriate for this group as
oppossed to freebsd-questions.  If I am wrong, please tell me so and
I'll repost it there.

I'm running 2.2-SNAP.  My machine is a Gateway 2000 P5-75.  It's got a
WD Caviar 1.2G drive on the primary controller and a ATAPI cdrom on the
secondary controller.  As for other cards, there's the Mach64 PCI video
card, a NE2000 clone, and a SoundBlaster 16 soundcard.

Here's my problem.  It's my job.  Everyday my life is becoming more and
more like a Dilbert strip.  I won't bore you with all the details.
Here's what I need to do.

I was just given a Jaz drive to backup an image of the harddisk of our
pcs (a lab with 30 machines).  Hahahaha.  Jaz drives are scsi devices
and all of the machines only have ide controllers and drives (same
configuration as my machine, but they're running Win95).

So, digging through my box-o-parts (tm), I find that I've got an old
Media-Vision PAS16 soundcard with scsi attachment (for that old external
nec cdrom).

Obvious questions.  Is the Jaz drive supported under 2.2?  If so, is the
scsi port on a PAS16 supported?

Ideally, what I'd like to do is pop the PAS16 into the machine and just
use it for the scsi port.  Plug the jaz drive (and hey, maybe even chain
the extenal cdrom onto it) into the PAS16.

Then, I can just use samba to allow the other machines in the site to
read or write from the jaz and cdrom drive attached to my trusty FreeBSD
box.

This all seems easier than trying to explain to the powers-that-be that
they screwed up.  8)

Thanks in advance...

        --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos                %  "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu         %   thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@canary.pearson.udel.edu  %   drives my desires."    (8