Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 18:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Hetzels@aol.com, nate@mt.sri.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

Nate Williams wrote:

> > >  I suggest spending less time arguing, and more time coming up with a
> > >  *solution*, and not a proposed solution.  Changes to the tree,
> > >  newvers.sh, etc....
> > >
> > We're trying to come up with the solution but it basically, involves three
> > areas.
> > 1. Creation of a .timestamp file added to the source tree.
>
> Sure, the only thing that's disagreed upon is the format of the
> timestamp, and how often it's built.  *THIS* is the crux of the matter,
> and if you can come up with *something*, then the rest is politics.

	we need timestamps to track changes to the source.
	timestamp file is generated as a result of cvs commit.
	each commit changes the timestamp file.
	if 4 days go by without a commit ;)
	the timestamp file does not change

	timestamp is then incorporated into uname
	(hhmmm....every commit means a kernel recompile ;<)
	extend uname to write the timestamp into the kernel ala hostname.
	add this to /etc/rc.....???

	doesnt matter how you get your bits, cvs ctm carrier pigeon.
jmb