Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:39:04 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Detecting mail client capabilities

Hi folks,

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but the folks I'm doing some work for
insist that it's possible, so here goes...

Is there teechnology available that allows one to determine what the
rendering capabilities of a customers e-mail client are without the
customer having explicitly sent one mail from that client?

My employer's confirmation process for their opt-in mailing list
requires the customer to click on a web URL within their mail message.
When they hit that URL, confirmation is registered.

So there are many customers from whom we will never actually receive a
mail message.

Hence the question.

Please don't flame me too much.  In my mind, this is impossible, but I
did undertake to confirm my suspicions.  As I said, my employer insists
that this is possible, mostly because the company that handled their
mass-mailing for them before told them that this was part of the service
they were paying for.

Thanks,
Sheldon.