Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2013 20:15:28 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to slow down the network interface?

Bandwidth limiting via pf or ipfw ?

ipfw may be more forward to use since its usually easier to comprehend the s=
yntax and type it directly on the command line.

--=20

 Jason Hellenthal
 JJH448-ARIN
 - (2^(N-1))

On Apr 2, 2013, at 19:25, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:

> For the testing purposes, I would like to be able to control the maximum s=
peed of the interface.
> There is this command 'ifconfig re0 media 10baseT/UTP' that is supposed to=
 lower the speed to 10Mbps. However, it makes interface unusable on my syste=
m. All connections are broken, even the router had to be rebooted. Maybe thi=
s is the router issue.
>=20
> Is there any other, "soft" way to change maximum interface speed to a part=
icular value?
> When somebody sends data too fast, OS sends back ICMP notifications that c=
onnection is jammed. My question is, is it possible to impose such condition=
 artificially?
> Is 'ifconfig re0 media 10baseT/UTP' actually supposed to work transparentl=
y, or disconnects are to be expected?